My Supervisor Lied and I Was Fired

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about firing:

I just got fired because my supervisor lied about me. She did a lot of things to make me look like I was this lazy, no-caring person. I loved my job but for some reason she never liked me and has been wanting to get rid of me ever since she was hired as my supervisor. I was new and had worked for the last year and had 3 supervisors prior to her and when she came on board everything changed. I was out of work for about a week and when I returned she gave me my evaluation with her supervisor present and was trying to get me fired by lying and saying that I was a month behind in my work. Well, her supervisor listened to me then, and I told her that I had proof that she was not telling the truth and she can come and see for herself.

So, they told me that they would give me 90 days to improve on my errors and skills. Also that I would meet with the supervisor often so she could help me improve. I had to be the first one to call the first meeting. Then, when I met with her she didn’t try to help me at all, she just showed me some things that I already knew. So, after about 6 weeks she decided to lie and get me fired. My errors had improved about 95% and I was caught up with my keying. So she made up some errors to get me fired. She copied some of the papers that I keyed from but never gave me the originals and told her supervisor that I keyed them wrong. She was so busy trying to get me that she gave me a co-worker’s paper also. Also she asked me to change some information in the system and print claims out. I did that, but when she got in the meeting with her supervisor she told her I never changed the claims.

I told her supervisor that she was lying on me and I had proof that she was lying because I printed out the claims that she had told me to change and wanted her to let me go get them to prove that this woman was lying. Her supervisor told me that it didn’t matter and that I would be fired regardless. I just need to know if there is something I can do. I have already contacted EEOC, but I need to know if I can get her for lying about me and destroying my character.

Signed, Treated Wrong

Dear Treated Wrong:

It certainly sounds as though this has been an unpleasant, unhappy and upsetting situation from every viewpoint. You will need to talk to an attorney to find out if there is anything you can do in court. I don’t think there is, if your goal is to hold your supervisor accountable for lies that led to your firing. If an EEOC reviewer feels that you can show that all of this was a result of racial bias, not your work, and they decide to take action about it, they will charge the company, not an individual. That is because several people helped make the decision. Your supervisor’s manager told you that the evidence you had that the supervisor lied wouldn’t make any difference because you were going to be fired anyway. That is probably true. It sounds as though you were not considered to be what they needed for that job and nothing you could do would have changed their minds.

Your next big step is to find another job where you can be successful. If you have skills that others would need to be trained about, that will probably be a big help. Or, maybe you would like to try another type of work that suits your skills and style of work better. If you are asked about this last job you can say that you had done well with three former supervisors but the work environment changed when a new supervisor arrived and you were dismissed during the transition. If others were fired as well, you can say that you were one of several who were dismissed during the transition.

Limit your conversation about it and focus on what you can and will offer to your new employer. I’m sorry all of this has happened and I wish there was something I could suggest that could help you work through it quickly and with optimism about the future. This is one of those times when your ability to bounce back will be tested. I hope you will soon find work where you can feel good about your supervisor as well as the entire workplace, and where you can contribute at a high level. Best wishes!