Need Help Quitting Horrible Job

Question:

Recent developments have caused me to seek other employment after 1 year at a thoroughly toxic and miserable job.

I have two concerns: First of all, my office is composed of 4 people. Two people provide administrative assistance to two loan officers, and the loan officers do not know how to do any of the administrative work in the office. I am the senior administrative staff member, the other being a brand-new hire. I am expected to train the newbie without any guidance or assistance from my boss, the other loan officer, or any corporate staff members while still completing all of my work in a timely manner. My company provides 0 training guidelines or materials, and I am held responsible all of the newbie’s mistakes and also for anything that does not get done on time–which is everything while the new person is being trained. The previous woman who was the senior staff member was fired recently, but not until after she became the scapegoat for everything that went wrong in our office and was constantly humiliated and belittled by the two loan officers. Now that I am the senior administrative person they have started treating me this way, and I won’t put up with it like she did. My concern is that they will basically be screwed when I tender my resignation, and while I feel bad for the new person, I really don’t care. I found out this office has always had a high turnover rate for admin staff, and I really feel that my boss is not a good manager. Am I being a jerk? People in other departments of our company have commented that they wouldn’t wish my job on their worst enemies! My other concern is that when I tender my resignation, my coworkers will become very hostile towards me. Please give me some guidance as to how to go about all of this!

Beaten

Answer:

Dear Beaten:

After working for a year in a “thoroughly toxic and miserable job” whose supervisors have questionable management skills seems to me clarifies the road map for moving on. Your assessment that coworkers will become hostile towards you when learning of your leaving is understandable; however, there may be a different reality. With some stating that they would not have given your job to their worst enemies suggests there may be a consensus about the lack of administrative strength of the company. Others may feel that they too could take the risk and seek employment elsewhere. When you resign many may quietly congratulate you as you wind your work down. They could see you as a role model and a resource when they make the decision.

Your concern about the lack of administrative skills after you leave is justified. This is their problem and not yours. Fears that you have become the scapegoat for failures (with the supervisors and managers) is a likely outcome. Based on your description, this has occurred in the past, will happen to you to some degree, and will reoccur in the future as others fill your position and decide to move on.

How to resign with clarity and dignity? What do personnel policies state about termination of employment? This usually depends on your position in the company and most are two weeks. If at all possible you should live up to this policy.

In recovery there is a saying that seems to fit a broader set of conditions:”Nothing changes if nothing changes.” Are you going to change? Hope so. Is it going to be painless? Likely not. Are you going to feel better after the transition to a new position? Most likely. I wish you an honorable and successful change.

Jack White, Guest Respondent