Need To Work Fewer Hours. Mum’s Poorly

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about cut in hours:

I asked at work to reduce my hours from 25 to 20 permanently. They first said no- way. We need you, but then agreed on a temp contract until June. This is no good for me. I am very annoyed because I need to cut my hours are: my mum is poorly and I do a lot of work for her. Also I am finding it too much as I have a young child. They say that I must again work 25 hours in June.

Signed, Caretaker

Dear Caretaker:

Hold on. Keep your cool. If you are needed for 25 hours, but feel that is too much, your options are: (1) To state your case clearly and passionately and persist in your request. (2) To think creatively about how you might adjust your hours so that you can do the 25 your employer requires. (3) To look elsewhere for part-time work at fewer hours.

If indeed you are doing work that would take time to train others for, you may have more leverage than it appears just now. In any case, an employer usually would prefer to keep a good worker than to have to train another. Does this make sense to you? Do not panic, but put yourself in your manager’s shoes and try to understand and empathize with her/his situation, but persist in asserting what you feel you can and can’t do.WEGO, our signature, suggests thinking we instead of only me.