Need Work Papers For Immigration Now!

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about immigration:

I have been employed by a company for a month, and I am still in Probation period. But because of my immigration status I must collect some documents which have to be issued by my employer. I need them as soon as possible. I have requested documents to the company HR staff and the response I got from HR is that they are short staffed right now, so I cannot get my documents until I finish my probation period.If I do not get my immigration paperwork done as soon as possible, my work permit will be canceled.I think since I have been hired, I do have the right to get documents from the company that are required to show I’m working here.Do I really need to wait two more month? HR staff asked me to work on this matter with my manager and my manager told me that she has been put on hold about this matter, because I am too new to get documents.What now?

Signed, Waiting

Dear Waiting:

Hello! I’m sure this is frustrating for you. There may be something about it that is not being explained fully to you, or that you are not understanding due to language issues or not understanding the process. But I can see it is important to get this cleared up soon! Maybe the papers ask for verification that you have a full time job. Since you are on probation your HR may think they cannot verify that. But, I think you should get it in writing. Write them an email or letter and send a copy to your manager. State the papers you need and ask for an explanation you can forward to the Immigration authorities, so you can ask for an extension of their deadline for the papers. You can do that in a courteous way, I know! Then, when you get the response you will not only be better able to understand the problem, but you will have something to support your conversation with Immigration.Contact the Immigration officials you have worked with. Perhaps you have a friend who has also immigrated here who could assist you with the process. Or, if you used an attorney for any part of this, perhaps they could help you over the phone. Ask Immigration if they have a form letter or some other way to let employers know what is needed and why it is needed. Make sure that everyone knows the urgency of this matter. Give HR and your manager the date that it has to be to you so that you have time to get it to Immigration.

Make sure they know that date and why it is so important. I don’t know of an HR office that is so short staffed they can’t fill out a form and get it to you! So, I think they must have a policy about how long you must work there before they will verify your employment. I also think they aren’t taking the matter very seriously, and they need to be reminded about how serious it is.It’s your future at risk, so you may need to push this a bit more, in an appropriate way. If you continue to do good work and are a valued employee who is working well with the team, that will help you. Best wishes with this situation.

Tina Lewis Rowe

Tina Lewis Rowe

Tina had a thirty-three year career in law enforcement, serving with the Denver Police Department from 1969-1994 and was the Presidential United States Marshal for Colorado from 1994-2002. She provides training to law enforcement organizations and private sector groups and does conference presentations related to leadership, workplace communications and customized topics. Her style is inspirational with humor.