Negative Effects Of Poor Communication?

Question:

Could you please tell me how the quality of communication in a workplace can impact on individual self-esteem and on staff morale in general? I am particularly interested in the possible negative effects of poor communication. I am asking because I work in a recently merged educational environment and we are undertaking action research on the effects that communication (interpersonal and systems) can have on workplace morale and individual self-esteem. I am looking for established research results, not anecdotal evidence. Do you have any suggestions?

Want Research

Answer:

Dear Want Research:

Management Communication Quarterly and the Academy of Management Journal are the best sources I know of for finding such material. Dominic Infante and I have had a decade of research articles pertaining to verbal aggression and argumentativeness in communication journals that probably are available to you. One recent article that reports on civility/incivility is by two professors, Christine Pearson and Christine Porath in the Marshall School of Business of the University of Southern California, after conducting interviews, surveys, focus groups, and experiments with more than 2,400 people in the United States and Canada over an eight-year period.

See “On the Nature, Consequences and Remedies of Workplace Incivility: No time for “Nice’? Think Again,” in the Academy of Management Executive, February 2005, by Professors of Management Christine Pearson at the Thunderbird, The Gavin School of International Management, and Christine Porath at the Marshall School of Business of the University of Southern California. Also see http://www.recgov.org/nih-hr/20014johnson.pdf Flynn, G., 1998, “Why Employees are so Angry,” Workforce, 77, 26-33

Please share with us a synopsis of your findings. Our site is a forum and its participants benefit from all who share what they learn from researching their questions. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOs.