New Manager Assigned Me an Unfavorable Schedule

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctor about a manager purposely assigning an unfavorable schedule:

My new manager saw how much I earn and is punishing me for it. He has changed my schedule and that is very unfavorable for me, what can I do?

Signed–Punished

Dear Punished:

Managers have a great latitude to determine employees’ schedules. Their reasons for changes might include performance, supplies, equipment, sales and personnel needs/desires. Do you have evidence that your new manager is changing you to an unfavorable because he thinks you are paid too much or too little? Might you think this is based on discrimination against your race, national origin, sex, religion, age, or another reason? 

Ideally a manager should consult with an employee about such a change? Did he? If so what did he say? Did you make a note of the reason he gave? It would be good for you to create a record of his exact words.

What have you done as a result of his change of your schedule? Your options are:

1. To confront him asking why he has made these changes and stating why this unfavorable–if it affects your family needs, your energy level, your time commuting, your transportation, etc. How long have you been on a favorable schedule and do you have good performance (at least not bad) evaluation under your previous manager. Did you communicate civilly with your new manager about why this change is unfavorable for you? Was he disagreeable? I believe this is the preferable option and should be your first choice.
  2. To speak with someone in your workplace about this. I wrote to ask you if your place of work was large enough to have a Human Resource Department. If so, this should be a place to provide advice and possibly investigate this situation. Possibly first talk with your new manager about your going to  H.R. and he might say he wants to reconsider his change of schedule before you do that.
  3. If you have reason to think this is very unfair and a matter of discrimmination, you can seek the aid of the Equal Opportunities Office (EEOC) and or a local labor attorney.

Do these thoughts make sense to you? Our goal is to help you find and understand ways to communicate and cope with unfavorable work situations. Good performance and good communication with this new manager should enable him to consider and possibly adjust his assignment of an unfavorable schedule for you  

Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. –William Gorden