No Contact With Employees Who Are Gone

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about contacts with former employees.

Can an employer require that current employee have no contact with former employees that have brought litigation to the employer?

Signed, Cut Off

Dear Cut Off:

We answer communication related workplace questions and don’t give legal advice. You employer can request and/or order that you have no contact with former employees, but I doubt that is a matter of law but it might be in light of litigation against your employer. You can consult your Human Resources and/or Personnel to learn more. However, wouldn’t be wiser to abide by your employer’s “requirement”? The relationship with your employer, at least for now, I think is what matters most to you. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and sometimes that entails making adjustments. Does this make sense? If not, you probably know more about this than you have spelled out.