No Help With Workers Comp Claim

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about boss reaction to claim:

I HURT MY BACK ASKED FOR WC PAPER WORK WITHOUT A RESPONSE 3 TIMES. THEY CLAIMED, IT SUCKS TO GET OLD! AFTER BILLS PILING UP I DECIDED TO GET WC. LAWYER. WHEN MY BOSS RECEIVED A LETTER HE CAME TO ME AND YELLED VERY ANGRILY ABOUT HOW MUCH HE HATED ME AND NEVER WANTED TO SEE MY FACE AGAIN! I CONTINUED TO WORK AT THIS UNCONTROLLED STRESS LEVEL! WITH THE RETURN OF ENDOMETROIS FLARE UP AFTER 14 YEARS PAIN FREE.. DO I HAVE A SITUATION THAT SHOULD BE ADDRESSED?

Signed, Getting no help

DearĀ Getting no help:

You certainly have a work situation that needs to be addressed–but how you do that effectively will be the important decision. If you work for a business or company that is large enough to have several layers of management and an HR section, your best action may be to go above your manager to complain about his inaction on your worker’s compensation claim as well as about the statements he made to you.

You may also want to check with the department of labor in your state to see if they have a complaint process for employees who feel their employer has not responded appropriately to Worker’s Compensation claims.You say you have an attorney who specializes in Worker’s Compensation claims. Since this all involves that situation, he or she would likely have advice about what could be done next, as it relates to the stressful and harmful situation your manager has created.

When you report this situation, try to present, both verbally and in writing, the exact words that were said by you and your manager. Quote him as accurately as possible and also give his tone of voice and facial expression. In addition, list any witnesses that might have overheard the remarks. Also note how he has acted since then and the impact that has had on your ability to work effectively or on your anxiety or feelings of stress.Clearly the working relationship between you and your manager wasn’t going well or things wouldn’t have deteriorated so quickly. The ideal solution would be for you to work with your manager to rebuild that in some way. That may not be possible now. However, the one thing you can do is to avoid talking about the situation with coworkers and, as much as your physical and mental condition will allow, continue doing excellent work while this gets taken care of. Best wishes to you through this challenging situation.