No Promotion

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about no promotion:

I’ve been employed since 2004 as a grant administrator. I have been at level 5 since. No promotion and no other recommendation whatsoever. What should I do?

Signed, Stuck

Dear Stuck:

Apparently you think you should have been promoted or at least progressed to a higher grade level. Can you crack through whatever is resisting your drive to a higher level and/or promotion? Of course from this distance, to analyze why is impossible; however, here are a few suggestions:

1. Think through what you want and where you’d like to be in the next on your career. Define that and investigate if you have the skills needed or might need specific train.

2. Next list those forces that are on your side. List them.

3. Opposite those barriers and restraints holding you back, including perceptions of you such as inappropriate grooming, language, habits, communication, poor performance, etc.

4. Analyze those driving forces that are most amenable to be enhanced and those restraints that can be minimized or circumvented.

5. Once you have worked through these steps, meet with a trusted coworker or someone you would like to be a mentor. Solicit that individual to review your self-analysis. Learn from this meeting. Make plans to do what might enhance those things going for you and minimize restraints.

6. Most importantly prepare a profile of positive reviews and completed grants/projects as evidence of the value you have added to your workplace in the past eight years.

7. Take action, such as to get the proper training and/or become active in a professional organization and/or to engage your superiors in what you might do to achieve your career goals. Request from them a review of your performance and clearly present the case you have developed for a higher level and promotion, whichever is better suited to your goals.

8. If all this fails, explore opportunities beyond your current employer. Does this career review and analysis make sense or might it spur you to a more creative approach? Guard against seeing yourself as a victim, gossiping with coworkers about being stuck career-wise, and seeing your boss as an enemy. Think beyond self-interest. Renew your commitment to what will benefit your work group and organization. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. Apply this. In working for the good of all, you will better yourself.