No Sick Time?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about no sick day until after a year:

My wife works for a private day care center and was told that she does not get sick day until after a year of working. I have never heard of any company making employees wait a year. Is that legal?

Signed, It’s Not Right

DearĀ It’s Not Right:

Small businesses make their own rules when it comes to absences, sick days, and vacation time. It would be good for her to get a written policy statement about absences, pay, benefits, vacation, and more particularly rules concerning dos and don’ts for her job. You might also contact your state’s department of labor to learn if there are any rules concerning vacation length and time.

Unfortunately, daycare employees have not formed associations and/or unions that have negotiated reasonable working conditions and benefits. Only a few employers empathize with and make employee-friendly conditions for those whom they depend on for the important task of caring for other’s children! Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. I wish your wife well in her job. She might be shy, but she deserves respect and she has a voice that probably is the only voice that will speak up for her.