No Work! What Now?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about Being told not to come to work:

My boss has called me every day for the past 3 weeks and told me not to come in to work. What can I do about this?

I’m very, very sorry about the situation with your work. I don’t know the nature of your job or if you have a contract or not. Often employers hire people on an as needed basis. Sadly, if it is an unexpected situation, the employee has no way of being able to plan or budget…or pay bills.Is this caused because the employer is not getting business and doesn’t need you? (Carpet installation, construction, etc.) Or is it because there is something else going on? (Problems with your work situation in general.) Or, is it simply the nature of the work? (Seasonal or only when certain situations are present?)

Talk openly to your boss about the problems you are having with this, and ask if he or she has a time frame for when this will change. Perhaps they know from the past what the situation will be in a month or so. Or, if this is caused by some other problem, they might be able to tell you when it will be resolved.Contact the Department of Labor in your state and ask someone there if this is viewed as essentially laying you off work. If that is the case, you should be able to collect unemployment benefit at some point. I don’t think that would apply, but perhaps it would. Look up the number in the phone book or on the Internet.

But I DO think you should try to find another job if this kind of part-time, seasonal or sporadic work is not what you expected. This one is apparently not going to provide steady employment. I realize that’s not easy to do. But, at least you could be looking. Surely the work you do for this business could be used as the basis for work in a business that is daily and steady.

Again, I’m sorry for this situation. I hope it is resolved soon.