Not paid for travel

Question:

Coworkers went to training – drive to airport and fly, school, fly home, car home. They were paid for all of the travel time (even time after 4pm our ‘normal work hours’). I went to training shortly after. I drove to airport, flew to school – spent the week (classes 8-4:30pm M-F) went directly from class to airport as per scheduled by work, flight delayed til 10pm got to home airport about midnight. I put all day of school plus all time at airport and flying time 8am til midnight like other guys did). Boss took off time off time card after 4pm *normal work day end…. Am I being ‘overly sensitive’ or is this a legitimate issue to be angry about (I am only female tech – tired of being treated differently than my co-workers). Boss also would take off ‘call pay’ that I would charge, but coworkers would charge for same and get paid. Also, payroll would mess up my military pay where male coworkers didn’t experience any problems. largest hospital in state….

Frustrated

Answer:

Dr. Gorden responded to your first question about harassment. I think this one is about your current employment.

I’m afraid I can only reiterate what Dr. Gorden said: We don’t have legal expertise and can’t provide the kind of analysis you need for your situation. To do that will require that you sit down with an attorney or someone from EEOC or a similar resource, show them the documentation you have and fully explain every aspect of the events you wrote about.

If that doesn’t work or if you want another kind of assistance, consider documenting your allegations and go to an investigative reporter. Or, if your company has an employee hotline use that. Or, talk to HR or to someone you trust in some other area of the business.

The bottom line is that the incidents you describe go far past problems with workplace communication, which is what we respond about. They require much more in-depth knowledge than we will have and they are complex enough to need careful investigation, not just opinions.

We urge you to contact an attorney, seek other ways to get your story known or talk to someone you respect in your work and get their support as you go to the highest levels to get your evidence and statements heard.

Best wishes with this challenging situation.