On Probation And Want Consecutive Leaves

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about Probation and Want Consecutive Leaves:

I’m nearly 5 months on my 6 month’s probation in my new job, and so far I’m enjoying work and the atmosphere is suiting me very well. I really like this company and so far I think I’m performing well and I’m getting along happily with my boss and coworkers. This week I took a day’s leave from work because I was a part of a museum exhibit a year ago, and they invited me to the opening for some Q&A/publicity thing. I informed my boss and it’s OK with her and filed a vacation leave.

Then, I found out that I was booked to a 2-day trip the following week by my fiancée and his parents. I haven’t told my boss yet, but to be safe, I made the initiative to finish more than half of next week’s expected work load this week (this is why I wasn’t able to tell my boss yet). The thing is, I don’t want to hurt my fiancée’s family’s feelings by refusing, but at the same time I really want to stay in my job and still have good relationships with my coworkers and boss.

I have used up 2 “understandable” leaves to get HR requirements from my previous company and a day for sickness with a doctor’s certificate, and so far everything was OK with my boss and HR – I just don’t want to look like I’m abusing the nice treatment I’m getting from them. Also, this is a Japanese-owned company and they are very rigid about attendances and tardiness (which is not a problem because I always come in an hour early. So I’m stuck, can you help me?

Signed, Stuck

Dear Stuck:

You might notice I changed the title of your question from “On Probation and Need Consecutive Leaves” to “On Probation and Want Consecutive Leaves.” There is a difference between need and want. My advice is to get unstuck. You are at a point of weighing current and future family matters vs. keeping a job with a Japanese company. You are weighing the wisdom of requesting more leave when employed only five months in a new job with six months’ probation. You are wise to consider the importance of the context of this point in your career. Some family matters, such as serious illness and/or death, of course, come first. But is hurting your fiancée’s family’s feelings of that importance? I’m sure it seems that way at this moment. However, how would your fiancée’s family feel if you didn’t survive your probation?I don’t see a compromise short of rearranging a time for the family gathering well after your probation at a time for which you don’t have to request leave. You are closest to the situation and will know better than anyone else. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGO. Life is cluttered with many conflicting dates. Right?