Ordered Upfront

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a change in position by new manager:

I and my colleague have been managers for a family run farm shop for 5 years. Now his daughter is taking our jobs and is putting us back in front of the shop. What can we do?

Signed, Want My Job Back Not Up Front

Dear Want My Job Back Not Up Front:

From the little you say, it seems that the daughter now has the role of owner/manager of the farm shop or that has been delegated to her. Has your role been changed already and if so how have you responded to that? You have a choice to grin and bear it, to firmly confront this daughter expressing your unhappiness with being ordered to work in front and no longer to manage, or to seek work elsewhere. I assume you simply want your job back as manager.

Possibly the best choice if for you to talk with the daughter about how you might best make the shop a success; sharing knowledge with her about what is needed, how it is best displayed and priced, and how to cut wasted products, time, and money. If she sees the value of your ideas and commitment, possibly you will be asked to take on the same kind of management roles you had before she took over. Talking about where you stand is both a concern to you and to her, so do so. Talk about making the farm shop successful. Does this make sense? Think together not as an enemy of the daughter. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. I don’t imagine that you ever thought of your shop selling wegos, but I suggest it can if you put your mind and heart to do so. Do you understand what I mean?