Placed Two-Week Notice And Was Fired!

Question:

Since I had acquired a new position at a new place, I gave my two-week notice, and was let know that I was not to come back to this place and was fired. Is there anything I can do to obtain my pay for the time I would have been there?

Fired

Answer:

DearĀ Fired:

If I understand, you gave a two-week notice that you are quitting and then were told you are fired and to leave immediately. That is not the way a good employer should behave. Should its other employees learn this employer followed such a practice, they probably would hesitate to give a two-week notice.

This kind of action of an employer raises such questions as: How long were you employed at that place? Were you on probation? Did you leave because there was trouble between your boss and you and/or your co-workers? Did you have positive evaluations? Had you be a dependable employee? How many employees did this firm have? Small ones usually do not have policies in place and simply do what owners want to do.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, one cannot be paid for weeks not worked, unless under a contract. We do not give legal advice and state laws differ, so you might contact your state’s department of labor to learn if there is any legal remedy. You also can consult with a labor attorney. Usually one will provide such advice over the phone or in a free consultation. Probably, you will learn that there is no remedy and that an attorney will not take such a case on contingency unless there is a state law to support a situation such as yours. But I wouldn’t give up just yet. If your employer is large enough to have established policies, check its policy book and consult with its personnel officer or Human Resources to learn what is the company’s policy regarding giving a notice of quitting. Also what were you told when you were employed? Once you have this information in hand, you can then in writing and in person speak with the appropriate party about this matter.

Approach it professionally and if you learn that there is no remedy, put it behind you. Don’t obsess or gossip about it with family, friends or your new place of work. Determine to be the kind of employee that gives of her/his best and treats others as you want to be treated in your new workplace. Hopefully your new job will be one that you find worthy of your talents and interest. Please do keep us posted about what you learn.

Not all jobs are pleasant but we should learn all we can from even unhappy work experiences. Will you? Working together with hands, head and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.