Problems At Work After Maternity Leave

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about maternity and work from home:

Since returning from maternity leave, my boss has rescinded the offer to let me work from home part time and get paid on an hourly basis. It seems like they are trying to make me quit so I do not collect unemployment (in NYS) At this point I am an emotional wreck.They are making inappropriate/hurtful comments and making it emotionally impossible for me to do my job. Is this grounds for leaving and filing for unemployment? I have some proof but not much.

Signed, Upset

DearĀ Upset:

Check with your state’s department of labor about unemployment benefits and the requirements. If the remarks that are bothering you pertain to your gender or pregnancy, you may want to consult an attorney about your options. However, it seems worthwhile to find out directly, if they would like to see you quit. Why not ask them? Let your boss know how unpleasant it has become and ask if he is aware of it and if he wants you to quit.

When someone says something inappropriate, complain to your boss about it and say how it makes you feel about working there. If you have been a solid worker and still are, it would seem they would want to keep you. So, talk to your boss about how you can be considered valuable to the group. He may reassure you that you are! Your boss has the right to rescind the offer to work at home. But, you should be treated appropriately when you are there. I believe, unless you have a very negative situaton with your boss, that honest communicaton is the key. (Or, as honest as possible, given the circumstances.)