Problems With My Paycheck

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about retribution:

I only received my salary check and all of the other sales people received their sales commissions added in. Could this be retribution since I filed an EEOC discrimination suit against the company?

Signed, Shortchanged

Answer:

Dear Shortchanged:

The best place to start your investigation is by asking the person or office that issues your check, why your commissions were not added in. My first thought is that surely no company would retaliate in such an obvious way, but it is a possibility. Perhaps the checks of some others will be delayed too, but you don’t have that information. Or, it could be that an error occurred, but it wasn’t intentional.If you have an attorney for your lawsuit, you could let him or her know about this situation. Or, you could ask about it informally, then let your attorney know if you think the answer isn’t acceptable. If you aren’t still working with an attorney you could contact the person with the EEOC who was a resource during the discrimination lawsuit. Unless you have experienced other negative reactions, this paycheck issue may be explainable.

If you have had other problems, it may be part of that. But, you will only find out by asking either your supervisor and manager or the payroll section. They will realize how serious it would be if this was a retaliatory act, so hopefully they will be anxious to clear up any problems.Best wishes to you. If you have the time and wish to do so, please let us know what you find out. We’ll be interested in the outcome.