Quit Because of Commission Theft

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about blamed for theft: After getting cheated out of several sales commissions, I complained twice to my supervisor who said something to the effect of “quit being a crybaby and get back to work”.

I have an interview coming up with a retail store I had worked for many years ago. I was paid by commission-on-draw. Two other co-workers would lie scam and cheat to make their paycheck larger. After getting cheated out of several sales commissions, I complained twice to my supervisor who said something to the effect of “quit being a crybaby and get back to work”. This offended me and another co-worker who was an honest and caring guy took my side and helped me acquire proof of these jerks scamming against me: with (computer printed documents from the stores’ logs)

IN HAND I confronted the manager once more and was basically blown off by him. I had had enough and decided since I was going to continue to be cheated out of my honestly acquired commissions, I went into the main office and told them what happened and I quit. If in this interview I’m asked about this ordeal, how should I respond? Open & Honestly? On my job application, I disclosed the reason I quit was “co-worker fraud” and I’m slightly surprised they are even interviewing me. I know that particular manager in no longer there and I also know shortly after I quit these two jerks were fired. Please advise me on how to handle this in my interview. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Signed, Honestly Don’t Like To Be Cheated

Dear┬áHonestly Don’t Like To Be Cheated:

Have you not already answered your question in preparation for this appointment? You disclosed that you had quit because of “co-worker fraud.” Should not the new manager have seen this on your application and determined that you must have been an honest person who would rather quit than be cheated?

Obviously the rule of thumb to not badmouth one’s previous employer still holds and it is not always necessary to supply every detail about why one quit or was fired.You probably have been invited to be interviewed because you application indicates you have the training for the position in sales that is open. Focus on that. Don’t allow the lingering memory of the jerks that caused you to look elsewhere for work. My best to you. Think about how my signature sentence would have applied then and now: Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. I propose it did then because of your sense of what was right and will in your future.