Racism at the Office

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a small business CEO: To whom do I complain if he is the CEO and has almost the entire staff on his side?

My boss — who regularly does not meet his obligations and deadlines — spends much time and energy telling my colleagues that I am incompetent, not really being supervised and not very busy. He takes work away from me, discusses my salary with other staff. I am not angry though. I just think he is very very stupid. The question is … to whom do I complain if he is the CEO and has almost the entire staff on his side? He is hiring consultants (friends) left and right and they do not deliver. He uses funding from the Board for projects that are doomed to fail. Really pathetic. My biggest problem is that he is not going to give me a good reference.

Signed, Ready To Quit

Dear Ready To Quit:

The Chief Executive Office of a corporation works for the Board of Directors and I doubt that anything an employee would say would carry much weight with them, unless you have proof of criminal activity. You titled your question as “Racism”, but the issues you mentioned do not seem to be racial in nature. In addition, it sounds as though he does not think much of you, but apparently you still have kept your job. So, it would be hard to say he is trying to get rid of you for no reason.

The bottom line is that I don’t think there is much you can do, based on what you have described.You may find it easier to do as Dr. Gorden often suggests, and “vote with your feet” by finding another job. Most HR sections simply verify employment dates, they don’t make other statements, so the lack of a reference may not be a problem. If you have ever received positive evaluations, maybe you can get copies of those and use them to show the level of work you were doing.Best wishes to you with this unfortunate situation. I’m hoping you can find a place where you will respect your boss more and feel that you are valued more by him and others.