Raise But No Review

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about reviews: I received a raise in my pay, but, as of yet, I haven’t received my annual review.

I received a raise in my pay, but, as of yet, I haven’t received my annual review. Is this something to be concerned about? I also want to add that although I received a raise, I feel as though I did not do very well this year.

Signed, Concerned

Dear Concerned:

It’s not uncommon for raises to be given before the review is issued or the other way around. There is no requirement for it in most businesses. Usually though, if someone is NOT going to get a raise, a review is given first, to explain the reason. So, you apparently have done well enough to merit a raise.The truth is, of course, that in many organization there are some people who get raises but who could still improve a lot.

You seem to think you did not do very well in the last year, so perhaps you are in that category. You’ll likely find out when you do get your review. Also, keep in mind that most supervisors dread doing paperwork and stall on it. I know a supervisor who hasn’t yet done the reviews for the middle of 2010! That’s wrong of him, but his manager hasn’t required it of him yet, so he avoids doing the computer work required.The same thing could be true of your supervisor. Of course, the best supervisors view every day as an evaluation time. They let employees know how they are doing on a frequent basis, through comments, smiles, frowns, corrections or commending remarks. So, hopefully your supervisor has given you some indications about your work and you were interpreting those indicators correctly. I think you should wait for your manager to give the review to you though, rather than asking about it, no matter how long it takes. If you find out that everyone else has received a review except you, that would be different and you might want to ask about it in that case.

When you talk to your supervisor or manager during your review, consider telling him or her that you have some questions that will help you do your work better.1. What is it about the way I do my work that you would like me to keep exactly the same? 2. Is there something you would like to see me do more of? 3. Is there something you would like me to do less of? 4. Is there something I need to stop doing and not do again? 5. How can I help the section be more effective?

The answers to those questions may be tough or not, but if they are answered truthfully you’ll have some good things to use for improvement and get some good things said along the way. Also, don’t forget to express your appreciation for the work of others and your supervisor. Here are some ways to know if you did well or poorly, whatever you may feel in your gut or mind about it: *Did your manager or someone else have to correct your work quite a few times or ask you to re-do it? *Was someone else given work that someone in your position would normally do? *Did you often have to be asked about work, because you had not gotten it done on time? *Were you asked to explain why there was a problem or a delay with work?It could be that your boss isn’t the type to commend people, so he or she simply doesn’t tell you when you do good work. That might make you think you don’t when you actually do. If you have a friend at work, ask him or her how your work is viewed by others. Ask that friend the same questions I mentioned above. Tell them it would be helpful to you to get a straight answer not just something to be kind.

A final thing to do is to resolve to make this year your most effective one yet. Look your best, communicate well with people, support others, do your work in an effective way, find things to do that will help the whole office. Show courtesy, confidence and professionalism no matter what your job is.Keep moving forward and maintain a cheerful, positive outlook about work and your future. Combine that with continual improvement and attention to detail and you’ll feel good about deserving that raise! Congratulations on it!I hope these thoughts are helpful to you. Best wishes. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens.