Rude Customers

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about rude customers:

How to handle rude customers?

Signed, Student with a question

Dear Student with a question:

If you are a student working on an assignment, check out one of the sites that discuss how to deal with rude customers while still providing effective customer service. Use a search engine and look for “dealing with unpleasant customers” or, “customer service.”

If you are an employee wondering about dealing with rude customers: Think about it this way–the interaction will not last more than a few minutes at the maximum, so why not simply work to get through that time in a positive way?In addition, the customer might very well think it is the employee who is being rude!

The difference is that the store needs the customer, but the customer doesn’t need the store! I always apply the idea of pretending you are in a new job interview. What if they said, “You should know that sometimes customers can be rude? How will you handle that if it happens?”What would you answer? I’ll bet your response would involve being courteous in spite of their actions. That’s a good idea any time!Best wishes.