Scheduled On My Days Off

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being scheduled on days off:

I work for a bank where I was hired to have two working days off a week so I can complete my college degree. Lately my manager has been denying me those days off due to short staffing. How should I approach my manager to let her know it is affecting my ability to complete my assignments?

Signed, Want A Good Grade

Dear Want A Good Grade:

Schedule a private meeting with your manager and you explain your situation just as you have done in this email. Of course it would be wise to say you want to do your best to make your bank successful. And that you are happy that you are needed; however, being required to work beyond your regular schedule is hurting your schooling; that you have not been able to keep up with assignments in classes for which you paid.

In short you ask from now on, that you not be scheduled to work on “two days off” that were agreed to upon your hiring. I predict that a forthright request made assertively and politely will be respected. You might add that during the holiday break you will work the extra if needed. A promise is a promise and you should be able to bank on that. Right? Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and that is what you want for all with whom your work.