Search For A Job

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about job hopping history.

I have a very good C.V. with many accomplishments but I just get concerns about I have too many jobs-ten in the last 10 years and many of those were temporary. I know that there is in the mind of employers the question: Is it a personality problem or clinical skills? How to circumvent this problem?

Signed, Ten In Ten–Too Many?

Dear Ten In Ten–Too Many?:

If you have a good Curriculum Vita, you have both a good educational background and on the job experience. But probably you are correct in sensing that so many job changes can be perceived as you not being able to hold a job because of poor interpersonal disposition or lack of skills in your profession. You don’t detail why you’ve shifted from job to job; therefore, from here, it’s impossible to know if such a perception is accurate.The hard fact of our times is that temporary is the rule rather than the exception. Only you can analyze the why of your job changes, but the important thing is to not obsess with imagined personality or clinical inadequacies. Now is a time to focus on doing the best you can where you are and meanwhile determining what you might do to find a job fit that provides the stability that your question implies you want.

Just as a self-employed individual makes a business must do to succeed, perhaps you might map out steps you want to take on your career path. That might entail:

· Reviewing the why’s of your job changes while telling yourself that for some of us it takes more time than others to land what we want. · Documenting the positive evaluations, projects completed and skills accumulated across those ten jobs. · Consulting with former co-workers who can give you candid feedback.

· Refreshing/updating your network; that might mean becoming active in a professional association and social network.

· Determining if you need to develop a niche that makes you more marketable or acquiring certification by additional schooling or short courses.

· Enriching your body and mind; workouts, yoga, singing in a choir, tutoring, volunteering, water sports, etc. · Most of all thinking in terms of doing what you feel passionate about; or finding something that needs your deep commitment. You don’t want Just A Job. You want to love life and your work. This might also research one or more work organizations known for being employee friendly and client-caring. You are not just searching for a job. This is to suggest that you think of the next few weeks and beyond not as a problem of self-diagnosis, but as a career path adventure. Does that make sense? Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and if you can do that where you are now and go from here, I predict you will worry less about your inadequacies and more about giving your self away; as is the saying, “Play it forward.”