Sending a post-resignation letter

Question:

I’d like to send what I hope are my objective critiques of the workplace at the branch of the Federal Government I used to work at. My feeling is I am a citizen now. Time has passed. I feel its important that government officials know about the sloppy organization that I worked for which is not serving the public to its best ability.

After 14 years I quit a job I enjoyed very much with the Federal Government. It comes down to my new supervisor and I just could not get along. I have been away for a year, and now feel fine about leaving. I feel now a sense of responsiblity to point out problems that I hope can improve the operations. Problems. One internal staff meeting in two years. Three to four staff meetings as an entire agency a year. This to me does not promote staff interaction, concern, awareness, information etc. I believe the Federal Government should set a high example for interactions with employees. Total dis-regard for long breaks and lunches. Many employees would take 25 minute breaks and 45 minute lunches. This was never dealt with though reported and mentioned. One employee would leave a half hour early each day because he said he did not take lunch. This is against the union regulations, yet it has gone on for years.

The Federal Government has a program for employee fitness that was never mentioned to our organization. When i brought it up, our boss said we could not do it. Frustrating that some Federal agencies could get healthy but others could not?

No assigned lunch times for employees. this was problematic as often folks could not rely on others to cover and I and others would often have to wait a long time for someone to cover for lunch. I think its important higher officials know these problems. (heck, even the President)

I respect very much your views and advice. If you think its OK to do I could send you a copy of my letter on this for review? Also whom should I sent it to? Sincerely, Damon Jones

Ready to critique

Answer:

Dear Ready to critique:

Hello, I recall your other questions about work and know that there were issues there that bothered you.

You may certainly send your proposed letter to me, if you wish. I worked in the federal sector directly for a number of years and now do training with them on occasion.

As you know, every agency is different, but more to the point for you, every manager is different and every regional director can change the tone of things. There are almost fifteen million federal employees, so I think the challenges of uniformity between agencies and even within agencies is almost insurmountable. Nevertheless, I know exactly what you mean about inconsistency and failure to follow through on policies or procedures. Or following through unequally.

In addition to sending your letter to the head of your former agency or whoever you intended, also send it to the Office of Personnel Management. Through OPM there are Federal Executive Boards around the country that are charged with working to have consistency about federal mandates and good employment practices. Every federal agency has a member, usually the head of that office for the city or region.

Sometimes, of course, it comes down to just the fact that there was some weak leadership in your regional, district or branch office. Perhaps someone above that person or group would have wanted to know about it at the time. There have been new appointments, promotions and moves since then, most likely, so it may be that things have changed on their own.

However, it may be that your voice, added to some others, will make a difference in some way. I certainly think there is value in an exit interview, even if it’s a bit late! If you send your letter to me at the return address here, I’ll be sure to let Dr. Gorden review it as well, if he is available right now to do so.

Best wishes!