Should I Choose Firing Or Demotion?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about demotion:

My boss told me I either have to take a lower position or get written up so I can be fired. I don’t feel like taking the six dollar an hour pay cut. Plus, I produce the highest amount of sales so I’m deserving of it. What do I do?

Signed, Can’t Decide

Dear┬áCan’t Decide:

It sounds as though your boss isn’t impressed with your high amount of sales! I would guess something else is going on and your boss hopes the tough choice you’ve been given will encourage you to leave and save your employer the trouble of firing you. That may not be the case but it certainly sounds like it!

If you decide to stay and take the lower job, your boss might feel it’s a win for the company because they will be able to replace you in the other position and you’ll be doing lower pay work that is needed. You mention that you will be “written up” prior to firing, if you don’t take the demotion. It could be that even if your boss requests you be fired, that won’t happen. That’s something to consider.

On the other hand, it’s not pleasant to be the subject of a firing action and is difficult to explain to the next employer, so you might not want to risk it.The option of taking a six dollar an hour pay cut is difficult! That’s a lot of money! If you think you could make more than that someplace else, you might be wise to turn it down and move on. If you don’t think you could do better someplace else, you might want to stay and see if you could work your way back up to your current job.

Another thought: It might be difficult to stay in a much lower position, seeing your former coworkers making their current salaries while you work for less.I know you would like some definite suggestion, but I don’t know you, your skills or your job type, so I can’t suggest what you should do. It seems to me that it would be helpful to talk with someone you know well who also knows about your work. Explain what has happened to bring about this decision point. Talk it out with them and see if, knowing you, they have some thoughts. Or, perhaps just the ideas in this response will help you decide. Usually when we have a decision to make, we know in our gut what we want, it’s just tough to say it out loud. I once read that the way to decide is to toss a coin in the air and choose heads or tails. Right before it lands, you will probably have a hope. “I hope it’s tails!” Or, “I hope it’s heads!” That thought is the decision you most want to make. Whether it is the BEST decision is something else. But, at least that will let you have an idea of what you think will most make you happy or less sad. Best wishes to you in your decision-making! If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what you decide.