Should I Just Quit Or Give An Explanation?

Question:

I have been in my trade for over 20 years .i am productive and often “go that extra mile” to get my projects completed long before the due date. I started with this company over 2 years ago and got an outstanding eval in the first 90 days. My supervisor who also has his brother and son working for the same company suddenly changed his tune towards me,I am now in a situation where for the past year and a half am constantly being blamed for his siblings mistakes even when it is obvious who and what happened. He has verbally assualted me and several other co-workers(except his family)for even the sslighest of mistakes,while he shrugs off major costly ones made by family.I have been called a mf, a retard etc, and at times felt like a physical assualt would occur to my person.I am going to quit,I have never in my work career been treated or talked to like this.

I will not confront this until after I walk away so that his supervisors and the owner understand that I am telling the truth and that since I have nothing to lose, I have no reason to lie. There are several other people there that used to work under this individual and now work under his supervisor which dosent really change anything since he spends most time in an office where as this guy is constantly on the floor causing problems.ie: Misdirection ,false information and just basically setting people up for failure like only a supervisor can. If he tells you how to do something ,even though you know it’s wrong,you still do it. Then after the project fails he reports it to management.

Anyway enough, Im quitting. He is wasting my time and the company’s resources with his un-professional behavior. My question is this,should I just walk in and quit with a simple explanation or should I take the time to write a letter of resignation with the facts and documentation?

Ready To Leave

Answer:

Dear Ready To Leave:

You should certainly provide documentation of why you are leaving. That could make a difference in the work life of others and might bring about some changes. It might also make a difference in what kind of reference you receive if you need that when applying for another job.

Be sure to emphasize the harmful effect the supervisor’s behavior is having on the quality and quantity of work, since often that gets people’s attention more than anything else. Keep in mind that they might be so determined to protect family members that nothing you say will make a difference. However, it might, especially if there have already been problems.

I hope you will find a place to work that allows you to be effective and enjoy work. It seems that small family-owned businesses can lend themselves to the kind of problems you mention. Fortunately not all family businesses are that way. And, there are many other places of employment to check as well.

I think you’re making a wise decision–and I think you may be helpful to others to fully explain why you are leaving and why that is a negative thing for your former employer. At some point they will realize that their profits and the overall success of their business is at stake, if they don’t take the time to look at problems, figure out who and what is causing them, and fix it.

Best wishes to you!