Should I Seek A Promotion?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about applying for a new job:

I was recently cleared of sexual harassment (Thanks for the help on this) and I recently saw an opening in our corporate office for a position that I’ve always wanted. The question is, should I go for it or should I allow myself some time before moving to another position? I’ve attended a few interviews and believe I may get the job, I just feel I might disappoint the people who supported me during those dark times.

Signed, Should I or Shouldn’t I?

Dear Should I or Shouldn’t I?:

I’m glad things worked out for you with your former concerns. I can understand your indecision about making a move. Let me share some thoughts and see if they are helpful.

1. If this is a position that is limited, it probably won’t be available when you try to move later.

2. Those who have supported you have likely moved through the company themselves, so they know that movement is part of development. (They may not want you to leave but at least they know what you’re wanting to do isn’t unusual.)

3. This is a good time to move forward and put the former situation behind you. Frankly, others may find that useful as well. A move would give both you and your supporters and coworkers a new start without the upset that has happened recently.

4. If you don’t get the position, you have at least had the practice of the interview and you will have let others know of your desire to make changes in the future.I don’t know your situation, but it seems to me that there are many reasons to try for the new position and not many reasons to pass on it. The thing is that someone will be picked for it and you may well wish then that you had applied.

Be careful about talking about this to anyone other than your manager, so it won’t get back to him or her indirectly instead of directly. (I’m sure you know that, I just thought I’d mention it.) If you talk to your manager or close friends let them know how much you appreciate their support. If you reassign, spread the word about what great people you used to work with and how much you’re looking forward to the new great people you’re going to be working with! Best wishes. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens.