Should Qualifications Be Overlooked In Promotions?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about job qulifications:

I applied for a job in my current workplace and met all the criteria and qualifications that were asked for. However, I now find out that the person who got the job did not have the proper qualifications. I feel that person should not have been even interviewed. Is this allowed?

Signed, Feeling Cheated

DearĀ Feeling Cheated:

There are no laws that require specific promotional processes, except those that protect certain groups from discrimination and bias. However, it certainly seems to be a situation that could cause bad feelings.

If you have an HR section or if you know the people who set up the interviews, ask them if they can explain the qualifications again. Be honest and say that you’re wondering why “Pat” got the promotion without possessing the qualifications.Sometimes the wording in announcements is such that it is more of a suggested list of qualifications than a requirement. For example, it might say, “The following qualifications are preferred.” Or, “Preference will be given to people with these qualifications.”That doesn’t mean the person without the qualifications won’t be promoted, only that if two candidates were identical the one with the qualifications would be chosen.

Sometimes, sad to say, a decision has already been made but the company is required to have more than one applicant. In this case, it could be that the other person had some qualities that manager’s thought were needed (or that they wanted), so they eliminated the requirements for this time.I can imagine how frustrating it is and will continue to be. Try to remember that the person who got the job was probably just happy to get it and wasn’t trying to do anything unfair. It’s the people who developed the process who know why it was done that way.Best wishes to you as you work to find out about this. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what the results are.Best wishes to you.