Snapped At Supervisor–What Now?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about snapping at boss:

Two days ago, I snapped at my supervisor over something very minor (not work related). Although I apologized the same day, I still feel like crap. How do I deal with that?

Signed, Kicking Myself

Dear Kicking Myself:

It could be that your supervisor still feels badly as well. So, one way to deal with it is to tell your supervisor what you just told us. You might want to put it in a card or email–or tell her in person. Just say that even though she graciously accepted your apology you still feel badly about it and want to apologize once more. You can say something about the fact that it not only didn’t reflect you in a good way but it didn’t reflect the good feelings you always have about her. (If that’s not true, perhaps you can word it in a less effusive way.)

I’ll bet she’ll assure you that it’s OK. But, that second apology will cement the deal for both of you.We often think someone won’t want a situation brought up again. But, you can bet it hasn’t completely left her mind–any more than it has left yours. Letting her know you are bothered will mean a lot.Put the focus on her rather than on you and be as positive and uplifting as possible. Then, move forward and focus on work. Both of you want to put this behind you and I think you will be able to do that.Best wishes to you! If you have the time and wish to do so let us know what happens.