Someone Is Out To Get Me!


I would like the places that I work to be investigated regarding receiving calls and information from someone outside my workplace about me since this has been happening for about 7 years. Who do I contact for this? I believe that I have been blackballed and set up on some occasions because of the person that is doing this. I believe that I have read that this constitutes aggravated harassment. Do you suggest that I get a lawyer?


Out To Get Me?


DearĀ Out To Get Me?:

My experience in supervision leads me to believe that rumors filtered into the workplace from outside it, will be treated within the workplace as such- -simply rumor. The information is probably not remembered by the end of the day unless your behavior or work lends it credence. If it will lessen your anxiety, you might mention/confer with your human resource department about your concerns. In doing so, I would not specifically address the rumor(s) verbatim but merely in a general sense. You might also do likewise with your immediate supervisor and ask his/her help in discrediting whatever might have been disseminated.

If you act professionally and do your job with expertise, you probably have little to worry about on this front.

Second Opinion: You asked about having a situation investigated in which you think you may have been set up by someone, over a long period of time. You also asked if you should get an attorney.

If a crime has been committed you don’t need an attorney, because the city or county in which you live would prosecute the matter on your behalf. Try sending a letter with the information that indicates you think a crime has been committed, to the district attorney for your county. In the letter tell them that you think a crime has been committed against you and tell them why. Tell them what damage has resulted from it, if any. Ask for their advice about what you should do next. You will need to show that some aspect of the crime was committed in their county–either you live there, your workplace is there or the suspect–if any–is there. Also give a clear indication that you would cooperate in any investigation and prosecution.

I suggest that action, rather than making a police report immediately, because many officers might not be familiar with the law and would think they couldn’t take a report in such cases. By getting an opinion from the District Attorney’s office first, you know right up front if they would consider prosecuting if a suspect could be identified.

Since I don’t have your original question yet, I don’t know the severity of the problem. It would likely have to be very long-term and severe for a district attorney’s office to be willing to commit staff to prosecute or to support having the police make a report about it and assign a detective to investigate. It would be most helpful if you had a suspect or motive in mind or some possible investigative leads, so that it is seen as a solvable crime.

If you don’t have clear evidence of someone harassing you by contacting your employers about you or by some other means, the case may not be considered for investigation. Even if you do have that proof, it may be considered to not rise to the level of harassment that requires legal intervention. That’s why it’s important to be specific about what has happened and what the negative results have been–either as it relates to your job or if it has had a negative impact on your emotional well-being.

Tina Rowe The Workplace Doctors Until ill facts surface or can be surfaced, focus on working with WEGO in mind.

Barry Hester

Tina Lewis Rowe

Tina had a thirty-three year career in law enforcement, serving with the Denver Police Department from 1969-1994 and was the Presidential United States Marshal for Colorado from 1994-2002. She provides training to law enforcement organizations and private sector groups and does conference presentations related to leadership, workplace communications and customized topics. Her style is inspirational with humor.