Stepping Back From A Management Position?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about wanting to return to a non-managerial position: I want to go back to the original position I was hired for.

I was promoted last year to manager. My personal circumstances have now changed, and I feel my boss has increased my load and my wages have not. I want to go back to the original position I was hired for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Signed, Can I Go Back?

Dear Can I Go Back?:

Many years ago, a sage said you couldn’t step in the same river twice. Can you get your old job back? Maybe. Maybe not. You should know the answer to that question better than I. It might depend on who has been assigned to do what you did before being promoted to manager and if there is someone in the wings willing and capable to take the job you have now.

Be patient because it might take some time to replace and readjust assignments. You imply the reason you want to return to your old job is the load of your manager job. It might be other things too, but that is what you mention and your thinking that the additional work is not compensated with increased pay. So, if that is the only reason you want to step back, you need to discuss your workload and pay.

Approach your boss with a positive attitude if you see management in your career path. Possibly the overload and/or pay can be resolved to your satisfaction. Often bosses do not realize they are piling it on and that a new manager needs to learn ways to manage his/her time and tasks so that they are doable.

Can you ask to return to your old job? Yes, not everyone is cutout to be a manager. It is often more work and sometimes that is not matched by pay. Surely, there should be a candid conversation with your superior after a week, two weeks, or month about how it is going for you. It sounds to me like you may have to be the one to initiate that.  Do keep me posted on what you elect to do and how it all works out. Are you happy with your workplace? Is it a cheerful, collaborative, employee friendly and a productive place to work? Are you helping it be that kind of place? Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.