Supervisor Belittles Me To Coworkers.

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about angry boss about leaving for another job:

I am an RN at a Nursing Home. I found another job and called my supervisor to give her my two-week notice. She began yelling at me on the phone that I wasn’t qualified for the job I have accepted. Basically, she didn’t want me to quit as it will leave them short handed. When I arrived at work last night, I discovered that she had gone out on the floor and told all my coworkers about it and told them I wasn’t qualified for the job. I have worked at this facility for a year as the charge nurse at nights and I was about to receive a raise in a few weeks at my one-year anniversary. Is this a form of harassment? What do I need to do from here?

Signed, RN

Dear RN:

Your supervisor’s behavior is unkind and unprofessional. You probably are correct that the fact that unkind reaction to your two-week notice was linked to the fact that she did not want you to quit. That fact does not justify her shouting and insulting assessment of your qualification for you new job.Shouting and demeaning insults about going elsewhere to a job, however, does not meet the technical definition of harassment. Without doubt she made you happier to be leaving.

You have the choice now: to either overlook her crude behavior–probably the less stressful response to her insults–or you can confront her. Whatever you choose to do, it might be wise submit a brief letter giving your two-week notice, but, if you haven’t disclosed where your new job is, keep that to yourself. There will be time later to share that with friends to whom you will say goodbye.If you choose to confront her, you can say that you understand her concern about having to replace you, but that you are disappointed about her unprofessional behavior. Be succinct. Avoid defensive argument. Avoid gossip about her behavior.

Those who see a coworker about to leave can feel rejected. Ease their hurt the best you can. Wish them well and make these last two weeks the best you can. Don’t allow your supervisor dampen your enthusiasm. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.