Supervisor Isn’t Giving Me Enough Hours

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about wanting more hours:

I work as a security officer an work 12hr shifts and I am employed full time. When I started working for this company I was supposed to be doing full time hours and was told I would get every other week end off. I started on my first week doing 12hr shifts for the first two weeks then I went onto my normal shifts of between 48and 60 hours a week… I had a disagreement with my supervisor regarding working over Xmas I agreed that I would work Xmas day in return for New Years Eve off and was assured I would get the day off. Then, when it came around I worked then both . After this and a few more disagreements everything seemed to settle down until my grandad died.I phoned my area manager and told him what had happened and informed him I would need 2 shifts covering, which he did. It wasn’t until I needed tine for the funeral that my supervisor refused to give me the time and we had an argument and I told him I either got the time off or would be leaving to go home straight away.

I spoke to my area manager and got the time off. Again when my son was poorly I needed a day off as he was in hospital. They took all my shifts for the week and again I phoned in sick for one day after being off for 3 days I had been poorly for the whole time and needed one shift covering and they took all my shifts off of me and that left me working 2 days out of 14 after these events my shifts dropped dramatically and I was down to three shifts a week 36hrs.

I have brought this to the attention of my area manager and our control room. I had a meeting with my area manager and was assured that things would change but they never have. The temp member of staff is now getting more hours than me by a long way and I feel I am been pushed out of the job and for no reason of my own. I am and confirmed by the area manager the best member of staff on this site but he still lets the supervisor dictate what shifts I am doing and the supervisor is looking after himself I have never had a warning of any type and never had a complaint but other members of staff have had complaints.I am at a loss as to where to go or what to do next and this is having a detrimental affect on my family has I have a young son and I am the sole provider

Signed, Frustrated

I don’t know all of the details of your situation, but it seems likely that your supervisor feels you have not been very dependable about work, which is vital when shifts have to be covered. I also can see your view that a death in the family, the illness of your son and your own illness, were not your fault.Most of us see ourselves in a better light than others do.

We fully understand our reasons while others may see those merely as excuses. We know what we are capable of doing while others only see what we have done. So, the bottom line on this is how much you want to keep this job. If you do, you will probably need to more closely fulfill the expectations of your site supervisor. You can bet if a choice has to be made between him and you, the area manager will support him! It would seem to me that if you are capable you could probably find other work that is better for your schedule and that offers a work situation that is better for your needs.Your type of work is not one that is noted for employee-friendly supervision, as you have found. It may be that you could build a better relationship with your supervisor and perhaps gain his support rather than his animosity. But probably the only thing that will gain his approval over the long haul is for you to show up on time every shift and do your work without complaint or without getting complaints. You say you have not been complained about so you have that taken care of already. Now, it’s a matter of deciding if you can do the rest of it, or if there are better options available.Best wishes with all of this.