Supervisor Out To Catch Me

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about difficulties with boss: He’s been watching me on the video monitors for hours and looking back through security tapes to bust me for anything (several people have witnessed this).

For the past year, my supervisor has been trying to give me verbal warnings, written warnings, etc. (anything to get me fired). He’s been watching me on the video monitors for hours and looking back through security tapes to bust me for anything (several people have witnessed this). I’ve been called into Human Resources 3 times in the last year (all for write-ups that were overturned because they were unjustified).

I’ve told HR several times about this supervisor and that it’s making me uncomfortable. It’s not being taken seriously. People have transferred out of my department and quit because of this supervisor. Currently I have been suspended (going on 2 weeks now with no word), because of others’ mistakes. I was not docked points because another manager didn’t mark me late one day. He fired her for this reason (favoritism). He’s obviously singling out certain people. What do I do?

Signed, Targeted

Dear Targeted:

What would you do if you were in HR? So far, you say they have not taken your complaint about being watched and warned “seriously”. Yet you also say that write-ups “were overturned because they were unjustified”. Overturning write-ups of a superior is doing something. It is a superior’s job to account for those in his/her charge. Apparently your boss, for reasons he thinks are justified, has found and is searching for more reasons to fire you.From what you say, there is not enough information to make me to side with you or him, but that is not my goal.

All I want is for you to find a way to correct or cope with your boss’ seeing you are dead meat, and from what little you say, I doubt that that is possible. Why? It is doubtful because you say you were: · written-up three times (although unjustified and overturned), · your boss has been observed searching for your mistakes, · you were late to work and although not marked late · currently you are suspended. Moreover you don’t say how long you’ve been employed, whether you have a record of positive performance evaluations, and if, in your own opinion, you have job skills, are a responsible employee and making the company money.Apparently you wrote us because you don’t want to be fired and you’d like to get your supervisor off your back or at least to find some support for your hate of him. Right? What might accomplish not being fired?

Have you considered any options, such as? · Face the mirror and honestly admit to yourself if you have not been a responsible employee.

· Request a time-out session with your supervisor, apologize or at least listen to if and why he wants you fired. Then see what if anything he thinks you might do to change his mind. Come with a list of work-focused action that could justify your continued employment; ways you might cut wasted supplies, time, money, and make his job easier. Hammer out dos and don’t of how he wants you to communicate, take orders, keep your mouth shut.

· Continue on your downward spiral with the intention of being fired without good reason, and then hope you can get unemployment and be free to job hunt. The fact is that an employer can fire for good or no reason unless it discriminates because of race, sex, national origin, religion, age, and possibly disability. Hunting another job might make wise use of your two weeks suspension.

· Meet with HR with the goal of being transferred and proving you can work well if under a different supervisor.

· Wage a campaign to get your boss fired. Log his mistakes and dysfunctional behavior. Enlist others to join you who have been fired or who have a grudge against him for good reason. Go above your boss, request an investigation, work through or by-pass HR. Should none of these options make sense to you, it is not past time to pull your self-together and job hunt? I don’t mean to be unsympathetic, but the picture you paint does not have bright colors. You see your supervisor as an adversary, perhaps for good reason, and no matter how long you have worked at this job you mention not one positive thing of which you can boast or be modestly proud. Work is hard enough without checking in day after day feeling you are unappreciated. My hope for you, if you do not find the options I propose are feasible, is that you might learn from this sorry boss-bossed disaster; learn to avoid mistakes of the past and to earn the respect of a new boss and to see the benefit in that. That is what I mean in my closing signature sentence: Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.