Supervisor Put Me on Speakerphone to Fire Me!

Question:

I was recently fired from my job because someone lied. My supervisor called me at home to tell me my position had been “severed”. I now learn that the person who lied on me was sitting in the supervisor’s office and I was put on speakerphone so they could hear the conversation! This person is laughing and telling people how she got me fired and hearing my conversation with the supervisor. What are my legal grounds,if any? Thank you.

Angry

Answer:

Dear Angry:

I would advise you to speak to an attorney on a free consultation basis, to see if there are any civil or legal remedies for the situation.

The size of the company and the totality of the circumstances would have to be considered. You would have to be able to work with your attorney to provide proof that a lie was told and that it was the direct cause of your firing. And, you would have to provide names that might point to proof that an unauthorized employee had access to a conversation that was protected by law. An attorney could advise you about what proof was needed, how to get it, and if a law was broken. However, if you are mostly interested in ensuring this kind of thing doesn’t happen again, perhaps you should contact the HR section of your former company and complain about both the lie and the way your former boss handled the situation, by allowing an employee to hear what was being said. What would be even more effective would be if the people telling you about this were to complain! Consider asking them to make a formal complaint, since it could happen to them as well. If the business is a small one and no one is above your boss, that isn’t an option, of course. But they certainly should watch their own backs! An attorney could best decide where you stand on all of this. Consider writing it up, with names, dates and witnesses, so it will be easier for the person who advises you to know the details. Often you can talk to someone over the phone and give them a brief overview so they can make a assessment.

Best wishes in this situation.