Supervisor Spreading Lies About Me

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about supervisor spreading lies and illwill:

My supervisor is telling people I have a drinking problem but I don’t even drink. He is also telling people I am a liar and a trouble-maker and that I’m not to be trusted.I’m so stressed I can’t work properly and my doctor signed me off for seven weeks of sick leave. I returned to work but it has only gotten worse, even though I’m known as being a great worker.

Signed, Not Guilty

Dear Not Guilty:

If you work for a business that is large enough to have an HR section or to have a boss above your boss, you should document your allegations about your boss, include the names of witnesses, and make a formal complaint. It sounds as though the rumors he is spreading are serious enough to merit an investigation.You don’t say if you have asked him why he is telling the lies about you. It would seem you would benefit from letting him know you are aware of the stories he’s telling and asking him why he has said those things, since they are not true. You might want to just mention it as a rumor you want him to help you dispel, rather than directly confronting him.Obviously your boss is telling someone the stories about you and that person is reporting back to you. So, that person could also make a complaint. Consider asking for the support of the coworker or at least that he or she be a witness.

It may be that others who know of your good reputation do not believe the supervisor anyway. However, even if he stops the stories you still are working with someone you don’t trust.Your choices are to report him to the highest level possible, talk to him directly or not say anything. You need to get this cleared up once and for all and I think you should ask for the assistance of someone higher in the organization or from the HR section if there is one.Until you do that you will continue to feel threatened and stressed. That’s not fair to you and it doesn’t get the root of the problem with your supervisor. Best wishes. We would be interested in knowing how this works out. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know.