Supervisors Bend Over Backward

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about lazy supervisor:

Our supervisor, who is lazy and stubborn, lets everyone else do the job she is supposed to do. Her supervisors bend over backwards to accommodate her. We are the ones who are busy while she sits and does things at her own pace. Her supervisors told us everything does not have to be done and that it will be done eventually. Which means, she calls on us to do the work, while she can do whatever she does at her own pace. Nothing has changed even under new management. No one wants to deal with her. We don’t want to just let it go while she tries to pull their philosophy on us. Not everything has to be done, but it needs to get done. Oh, guess what we are being documented, by the supervisors. When we leave work, they have their own special meetings. I have never been treated like a nothing.

Signed, Angry Because I Am Something

Yes, you are angry at a boss whom you judge as lazy and you blame her superiors for allowing her to work “at her own pace.” And you may think she allows some coworkers to be lazy too. More generally you are unhappy with new management because things have not changed. You don’t describe what you and your coworkers have done, but I get the impression that you have complained to your supervisor’s superiors. All in all you feel that you are mismanaged.

You don’t provide enough evidence for someone distant from your workplace to side with you against your supervisor; however, your unhappiness is proof enough that something is wrong. Have you taken the time to think about what your supervisor should do to be effective? Can you list specific acts she should do and is not?

Good supervisors · make clear and reasonable assignments. They engage those they manage in planning and scheduling who does what and in meeting deadlines when products and service are needed. They involve those they supervise in cutting wasted supplies, wasted time, and wasted effort. The encourage innovation and quality improvement. · coach. They motivate cooperation of those they supervise. They hold skull sessions that encourage team members to think and act as a team. · are personally interested in the careers of those they supervise. Their attention goes beyond getting a job done to helping their people to acquire the skills needed to have success on the job and in their future. If your supervisor does not make the grade, what might you do?

This is to suggest you and your coworkers who want better supervision must help her do what you want from her that rather than brand her lazy and gripe about her bosses allowing her to work at her own pace in her own way. Unless some of you are willing to make your wants specific and have the guts to voice those wants, you had best bite your tongue and stop complaining. How might you go about this? l. You might approach her asking for weekly time-out meetings to engage all of you in discussion about how your work group might work more efficiently and improve the quality of what you do.

This could entail involving your work group in job assignments and scheduling. In short you might encourage her to be a coach and to transform your work group into a team committed to quality improvement. 2. You, as an individual, might stop griping and painting your supervisor as lazy and instead might request of her what you want, such as help to think ahead for your own career; where you’d like to be in the next couple of years, and acquiring the training and work experiences that might help your career.

Bad bossing happens. Good bossing does not come naturally. Those who are bossed can help their bosses know how they want to be bossed. If they work scared to speak up firmly and professionally, what has happened bad in the past will happen badly in the present and future. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. I predict that you can be a champion of shaping the kind of supervision you want. Is my prediction wrong?