Can My Wage Structure Be Changed?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about pay and commission:

I was taken off a commissioned pay scale and put on an hourly wage doing the same if not more work responsibility. They say that it was figured out from past month’s commissions but it seems very low for hourly work that is detailed and stressful. is this legal, since now I will make less?

Signed, More Upset By the Hour

Dear More Upset By the Hour:

Our work is usually about workplace communications issues, but in many ways your question involves that as well, since communications from both employer and employee can often smooth these transitions.Your employer can change your wage structure unless you have an employment contract that says otherwise. If you have such a contract you will want to talk to a labor attorney about it.

read more