Racial Song In Workplace

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about racial music:

If someone of another color repeatedly sings a song with the n word in it on the job and I’ve asked him repeatedly not to say that word in my presence, what can I do?

Signed, Can’t Cover My Ears

Dear┬áCan’t Cover My Ears:

If you have asked him before, go to a supervisor immediately about it. Preferably, write a letter or send an email to a supervisor. If the supervisor doesn’t make him stop, go higher. No one in authority will think you are wrong to complaint, but they might hold you partially responsible if you DON’T complain. So, do what you know is the right thing to do. If there is any pressure put on you about it, report that immediately to your supervisor too or go higher than him.The trouble with the idea that everyone is having fun and that the person of color was saying the word himself, is that if someone (that person or someone else) ever gets angry and decides to get revenge, there will be a big complaint, a big lawsuit,or a big fight at work. Those who participated or who didn’t try very hard to stop it, may lose their jobs. So, even though it will be tough to do, it’s in your best interest to do it.

read more