The Doctor Has Blacklisted Me

A question submitted to Ask the Workplace Doctors about negative appraisal she thinks is made of her:

This is not a workplace question. I was working for a doctor where I was the only one doing the work while the other lady just played on the computer or her phone. I finally had enough and left. That might not have been right but the doctor was not going to do anything about it.

So, far now I have not been able to get a job at all. He has put something out there about me and I have absolutely no idea how to find out what it is. He was told by my attorney to stop saying negative things about me but there is still something there. I have put out over 2000 resumes and still nothing. I have knocked on doors and passed out my resume and still nothing. I have 25-30 years in medical and 9 years in dental and still nothing. How do I find out what this man is saying about me? I am just short of moving into my car since I am only living on Social Security.
Signed Something’s Out There

Dear Something’s Out There:

You don’t say how long it has been that you have been without a job, but I assume it’s been very long because it would take months to apply and be rejected the 2000 times you say. Even if you mean to say it feels like 2000, even a dozen times should be enough for you to seek advice about your resume, cover letters and phone or person-to-person communication. It’s obvious, although you have not provided hard evidence, that you’ve come to believe your former employer has blacklisted you; however, if that were the case surely your attorney or you would find some evidence of it. We are not private investigators; therefore, if you have written us thinking we might help you discover how your former employer or someone has blocked you from getting a job, you will be disappointed. We don’t want to add to your disappointments.  

As I do when some questions bring to mine individuals with appropriate experience, I shared your question anonymously with a woman who is highly respected in the medical community. I can’t  know from what you say is your experience or exactly what work you did for the doctor, but I think the appraisal and perspective of this nurse, I know, merits your consideration:
— I think her assessment of what’s going on in her career is definitely ” off the rails” in terms of evaluating the situation.

1. In my extensive nursing leadership experience, physician(s) are notoriously adverse to creating drama and putting out false information (who has the time really?) This does not mean that he may not have given her a less than stellar recommendation – based on her performance.  Most physicians would never take a call like that but rather refer to HR or manager w/in the clinic setting. PHYSICIANS AVOID CONFLICT – esp when it comes to staff issues.

2. Also, I wonder if she employed a lawyer to send a letter (cease and desist) . Maybe , maybe not……..if valid complaint – I think a lawyer would have referred a complaint to state medical board for review/ civil complaint filed/……….Perhaps he listened but failed to act. Does she have actual documentation that the physician actually  created a negative review of her or her assumption? Also, wonder what she has said about him and the practice? The street goes both ways-  

3. Who sends out 2000 resumes – and to whom? even on line, it  takes a lot of time to do. That seems so excessive a number – as to be hard to believe.  Most rational persons would be asking an objective person (Ask the Workplace Dr ?) or headhunter/coach for an honest assessment of why/ what’s not working-  And it should have come after sending out 25- 50 resumes.

4  There is a nursing shortage going on (and getting more pronounced). It begs the question of how she presents herself overall – and experience/ education credentials. Suspect her attitude/victimization/anger is what she presents and no one has the time/ energy or willingness to take this kind of candidate on to the staff. They simply are too  much work for outcome

5. Maybe age discrimination is a factor- and even though it’s illegal- it exists and could influence who they hire.  Our own experience is quite different ( we’re both in our 70’s and still working and engaged) – so age is not always a factor-but attitude always is. Thank you for asking – Hope my thoughts are helpful   

I think this appraisal and advice provides the kind of straight talk that might motivate you to see your situation in a different light and to find counseling from a friend, local community agency or religious source. This is not to imply we know your situation better than you do. Rather it is to feel you suffer and to say we know there is someone out there who is closer to you than we at Ask the Workplace Doctors can be at a distance. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. -William Gorden

ReplyReply allForward