Their Hours Are Different!

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about hours favoritism:

I do not know if this qualifies as favoritism, but our workday is from 8-5 with 1 hour lunch, Mon-Fri. At one point, two of the employees were asked to come in early, at 7 a.m. to work on a project. The project has since been completed and the two employees have decided they like the new hours and getting off early. The manager told them they should go back to the old hours, but have not listened.

This Manager told the owner, but the owner in the manager’s words “has not made a decision.” The two guys want to get off early merely for convenience and personal reasons. One lives 45 minutes away and wants to beat traffic and the other started on a softball team. I simply want to be able to have the same hours as they as I have things I would like to do after work, and to “beat traffic” as well. They work in the warehouse and I am office, but I also work in warehouse when needed. Since the two are able to “make their own hours,” do I have the right to make mine? Can I come and go without being fired? Company is about 10 of us.

Signed, Want To Make My Own Hours

Dear Want To Make My Own Hours:

Second Opinion: This is not favoritism. These two employees had their schedules changed to suit the needs of the company. The company has not changed their hours; therefore, they can continue to work those hours until management declares otherwise. It sounds to me as if you’re jealous of the two. They are performing their duties as requested, yet you want the favoritism from management to make your own hours that would not be consistent with company policy nor your job duties. You are in the office; they are warehouse employees thereby making your desires to have a flex schedule a blatant case of favoritism. In other words, you don’t “have the right” – if you want a flex schedule, ask management. The worst they can say is “no” – so go for it. –Dan Kearney

Follow Up: Dear Docs: Management has declared “otherwise” and told the employee’s to go back to the original schedule, but they are not listening. If you look at my original e-mail I stated that. The “manager” said he has explained this to the owner and its now his decision. But the owner isn’t doing anything, so in my opinion, the owner either has no backbone, is depending on his “right hand man” to enforce the request, or doesn’t care who comes and goes. As far as me being “jealous,” I don’t know that in this case that is the right word to use, but I think it only fair that all employees have the luxury of creating their own schedules if these to people are allowed to continue to do so. We are only a day shift. There was no need for flex, or swing or anything, it was merely a change of schedule to work on a project that is now complete and has been. Signed, Want To Come Early, Leave Early

Dear Don’t Know If Jealous Is The Right Word:

You are not the manager. Right? So let him do or not do his job. If you want the earlier hours, request and make the case for them. Or simply come and go at those hours and see what happens! That’s not my advice. My advice was and is to begin to think and act like you owned the place. If you do that you will make hours that are most effective and you won’t simply act on your own without considering others. More than that, you will be a cheerleader and will not complain, gossip, or mumble to yourself. Don’t think of yourself as a victim. To do so will only make you more dissatisfied. Check these thoughts out. Do what you think best and let us know what happens. Working together with hands, head and heart takes and makes big WE