Threatened By Coworker’s Spouse

Question:

Today at work, the husband of one of my coworkers came in and told my manager/owner that if he saw me he was going to kick my ass. Nothing was done.

What do I do? Call the police? My manager who he told this to, told me that they will back me up, whatever I decide. Please help.

Worried

Answer:

There is obviously a story behind this situation! Call the police to your workplace and have your manager tell them exactly what was said, by whom, and for what reason. The police can decide if there is enough of a threat, based on local lawas, to file a threats charge. The police may contact the coworker’s husband and at least warn him to leave you alone.

That leaves the issue of the coworker, presumably with whom you wil still be working. Your manager needs to take an active role in mediating whatever quarrel led to this situation. It won’t get better on its own after this, that’s for sure!

In the meantime, have your manager or someone else walk you to and from your car. Be aware of other vehicles or anyone who may be loitering around your work or home. Take the obvious precautions to avoid being contacted personally by the man. You may want to have your manager talk to the other employee to find out what it was all about and how serious she thinks her husband is about this. Let the police know what she has said, so anything she says to them can be compared with that.

Best wishes to you in this unnerving situation. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens.