Time Card Fraud

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about falsified work hours: We have documented proof (irrefutable proof) of the hours he falsified on his own hours, and we presented it to HR.

Three other coworkers and I found that someone at the workplace (who was assigned to overlook the time-punch system) has falsified not only his work hours but also those of a couple of his buddies. We have documented proof (irrefutable proof) of the hours he falsified on his own hours, and we presented it to HR. HR looked at it, and then responded back to one of us saying that they confirmed a lot of “discrepancies” in the hours of this person and his friends.

HR mentioned they had already been looking into this person’s hours already because of previous suspicions, and they thanked my coworker for the info and said he was being taken off his time-punch monitoring duties, and they will be looking into “further actions”. It’s been over 2 weeks later, and so far the only “action” that we have seen is the person was taken off the management of the time-punch system. Shouldn’t this person be terminated by this point? Even the HR rep conceded that what this person did was steal from the company…how long should this take?

Signed, Want Him Fired

Dear Want Him Fired:

In cases such as this, you then go to the HR person’s supervisor and up the ladder. Have you informed YOUR supervisor of this? If not, then inform him/her. If you have and nothing’s been done, then go over your supervisor’s head as well. Now keep in mind that your supervisor and the HR person might retaliate against you and your friends. So you can look at this two ways:

1) If we go over the heads of people we might be setting ourselves up for retaliation/termination; and

2) You’ve done your duty and how the company wants to handle it is their business and NOT YOURS. By going over people’s heads, you’ve become a “whistle-blower” to some extent. I guess the main question I wanted to know is, with an offense this serious, why would it take so long, if in fact the person is going to be terminated?

Does this length of time and no termination tell you, in your professional opinion, that the person will NOT be terminated, despite stealing from the company..?…..thanks again for any feedback…

Reply: Whether this person is terminated is entirely up to the person in charge. HR likely is asking whether they have enough evidence to terminate without getting sued in the six figures. Today, many companies are afraid to terminate because of inevitable lawsuits.

Dan Kearney, Guest Respondent HR Manager