Two-Week Notice

Question:

I worked in Medical Records in a SNF. Company policy says that you must give 2 weeks notice on leaving or your salary will be reduced to minimum wage. I gave notice on December 31, 2007 that last day would be Jan 14, 2008. I was out 1 day and now they have reduced my pay saying that I did not work full 2 weeks notice. Last day I worked was Jan 14, 2008. Also giving negative reference. Thank you.

Gave Two-Week Notice

Answer:

DearĀ Gave Two-Week Notice:

I wish I could get back the pay that is coming you. Your former employer has interpreted its two-week policy to its own monetary advantage; not a lot to the company but a big chunk to you. You argue that you gave the required two-week notice. SNF says you cheated on that because you were one day short of two weeks work. I think this matter also is related to the company policy of missing a day of work? Do you get pay or no pay for that day?

This kind of issue can be taken to a small claims court, but the hassle and cost in time and money is not worth it to you or them. Nor is a threat sent them by an attorney. So you have three choices: 1. Bite your tongue and face the future with a positive outlook, 2. Badmouth SNF to family and friends and past co-workers, and 3. Contact the company by letter and in person to argue that the company’s interpretation of the two-week policy has engendered an unhappy departure for you and rumor of that will be to the disadvantage of the company. The disadvantage to SNF is that a rumor of what happened will be seen by its own employees as unfair and so will the public should it be publicized by a letter to the editor to the newspaper, a professional journal, the Internet or circulated by word or mouth. Is this what you want to do? If so, compose your letter and meet with its personnel people. You do not have to vent anger, but you can state firmly how unjust you think their interpretation is. Does this choice seem reasonable?

The more important thing you write is “Also giving negative reference.” Who says you have been given a negative reference? Is that a fact, and if so to whom was given a negative reference? Companies are very careful about that. If you have proof of that, you might want to consult a labor attorney to learn if you have a case against the company. Most attorneys will allow a free first consultation. I suspect that the “negative reference” was not and will not be given if you had a positive record of job performance, and even if you did not. So don’t allow this reduction in pay to spin if you do not have proof. I don’t know the reason you gave notice, but I assume it was for a personal reason, or because you were unhappy with SNF or to land a better job. I also assume that you have already shared your anger about SNF’s docking pay with family and friends. That would be natural. However, I suggest that you not become obsessed with this anymore than you would with a parking ticket. Much talk about the unhappy two-week exit can paint you as sour. And I’m sure you do not want to be seen as sour to those close to you or especially you do not want to be seen as sour in a new work setting. Rather, you have skills required for working with Medical Records and you want to be seen as a professional, responsible employee. Right? So you have learned from this unhappy exit. Now is the time to focus on all you can do to make tomorrow a good. Can you laugh it off? Can you replace your displeasure with being a cheerleader in your new work environment?

These thoughts are given without knowing you or your work history. Only you can weigh them and know if they fit. Compare them with other suggestions that have come your way. My best to you is embedded in this signature sentence you may have read in other Q&As housed in our Archives: Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.