Unfair Work Load and Forced PTO on Last Week?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors leaving one job for another:

I am leaving my job. I gave 2 weeks notice. Immediately following this job, I need to have surgery on a medical issue. I start my new job one week after. My current boss has slammed me with work and asked me to give more then 2 weeks notice. I can’t. And, she is making me take PTO to go to a Doctor appointment. All in my last week on the job! How do I handle the work load? Brush it off? And, what about the PTO for a MD appointment? Seems a bit ridiculous. Our office is casual and many people take MD and Dentist appointments with no “PTO” hours required.

Signed, Frustrated

There are several possible reasons your boss is acting this way. She may think you are leaving work undone, so she is trying to get you to do as much as possible before you leave. Or, she may just be worried that they won’t be able to hire someone right away, so she is trying to get everything caught up. She may also be concerned about the amount of payout you will receive. If your unused PTO is going to be paid to you, she may be trying to reduce that somewhat. Or, maybe she is just irritated about you announcing your plans and she is showing her irritation.Whatever her reasons, you will be gone in two weeks, maximum, and you already have another job lined up. Good for you!

Nevertheless, it would be to your benefit to leave with good feelings. For one thing, you may need her as a reference someday. For another, it’s just more professional to leave with grace rather than with conflict.You apparently can be asked to use PTO for doctor’s visits, even though that is not the norm, so there is no point in fighting that unless you think you will win.Do as much work as you can during this time, without placing undue stress on yourself. If there is someone who will be taking over some of your work, consider offering to start the process of teaching him or her about the tasks. (That might soften the attitude of your boss.) Maybe you can develop some lists of what is involved with some of your key tasks, if they will have to train someone else. Take a few photos of you and others and send them the files by email. In short, make this a time when you wrap things up and show graciousness. You’ll feel better about yourself and you’ll leave better memories. Good luck with your medical procedure and best wishes for your new work.