Verbal And Witten Warnings

Question:

Do warnings have to be for the same offense before dismissal or can they be for unrelated incidence?

Fired For What?

Answer:

DearĀ Fired For What?:

I assume you have a personal reason for your question–either as a boss or but probably because you are one of the bossed. An answer probably hinges on policies within your work organization. Most workplaces have created guidelines for discipline and dismissal, and you have a right to know what they are. Feel free to ask. In many places, an employee can be fired for very serious offenses such as theft, drinking, fighting, or endangering safety. But for most offenses there is a graduated level of discipline, from oral warning to written to suspension or discharge. These warnings can cover a range of offenses, from tardiness to verbal abuse, and they don’t have to be for making the same mistake again and again. Please send us what you learn are the rules regarding discipline and dismissal in your workplace. More generally, I suggest that the question you ask is not as important as it is to reflect on how you interact with your superior and coworkers. Are you responsible; someone who can be counted on? Do you think of ways to cut waste; wasted supplies, time, and energy? Do you cheer others on and behave as an enthusiastic member of a work group? Get my point? What appears to prompt your query is how the rules are applied, and that might be a justified concern. However, what will matter over the long haul is whether you add value to your work organization. Do you see your workplace as a good, if not a great, place in which to work? And how might you apply my signature sentence: Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. In short, what might you do to shape your job and work group to become the kind of place that benefits you as an employee and your coworkers and the workplace as a whole?