Verbal Warning

Question to Ask the Workplace  Doctors about a warning.

Can I get a formal verbal for being 5 minutes late, first offense?

Signed, Late Once

Dear Late Once:

I assume you were late and did get a warning. From your question I can’t tell how formal it was, but did you think it would be ignored? If you were the boss and an employee was late a second time and on the second time you warned her, could she have then said to her boss, “This is only the second time I’ve been late and you didn’t say anything the first time?”

To know that being late is unacceptable in some workplaces is important to one’s performance and evaluation. In only a few companies are employees not on the clock and can come and go as they see fit. Rather than take offense, might it be wise to apologize and resolve to be early from now on? If you were owner of a company, I expect that you would be pleased when employees were there ahead of time and apologized if late.So my advice is not to complain to coworkers, family or friends about the injustice of being warned when you were late. Instead appreciate your boss. Do what you can to make his job easier.

See the big picture. You were hired to help your company make money. Look for ways to cut wasted supplies, wasted time, and wasted money. Be a valued employee. Does this make sense? Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. By that I mean you depend on others and they depend on you. Giving of yourself should not be grudgingly given. Think team. Think of being accountable and responsible. I think you probably are, but you were irked by being warned. Forget it. Don’t allow it to sour you.

Follow Up: Can an employer send you for a disciplinary hearing, for not performing well in a task that is not in work contract signed?

Reply:You seen intent on approaching your job and employer legalistically. I expect things aren’t going well for you or your employer. Most employers can do what they wish regarding discipline. You will need to consult an attorney if to learn if you have a case of breaking your contract. We don’t give legal advice.