Want Supervisor Fired

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about an affair between a city supervisor and one’s girlfriend:

Can I get the supervisor of the city I live in fired and my gf (who is an intern thru the state) for having affair. And yes there’s been documented special treatment. We have a board of directors that hire and fire for this job.

Want This Person Fired

Dear Want This Person Fired:

Obviously you are angry, so angry you want your girlfriend’s supervisor fired. You don’t say, but I assume the supervisor is a man. You ask “Can I get the supervisor fired? A short answer to your question is possibly if you have the facts, and the answer is probably if the supervisor is married and your girlfriend is under 18. You are wise to hesitate before making such an accusation–to make sure you have the facts about when where and if this is more than hearsay.

More importantly, it is wise to hesitate because to cause someone to lose a job can damage this individual’s career and family and because making such an accusation probably also will cause your girlfriend loss of her job. Therefore I’m sure you are asking yourself if this is something you really want to do.

Our site answers workplace communication questions, not legal or medical; I recommend that you consult an attorney about this situation. Generally, you can talk with an attorney without a fee to get an opinion on such a question as this. An attorney will caution you that making a false accusation is defamation (communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual person, business, product) and warn you not to gossip about this matter. An attorney likely will suggest you request city officials to investigate.

Before you make an accusation, I suggest that you stay cool and quietly write out what you have learned. Why? This will give you time to think through what’s been rumbling in your head and give you time to reflect on what you think you know. Describe what you have learned and when and from whom you got the information. You will want only to state what you think is true. You say “there’s been documented special treatment.” An attorney will want to know what evidence you have of that.

If you have time, let us know if this advice makes sense and what you do. I’m copying my associate workplace doctor Tina Lewis Rowe this reply. She might add her thoughts to mine. Thanks you for submitting this question. I understand you are concerned about your own job, but I hope you will see this unpleasant matter, if true, as a lesson about what sometimes can happen in the workplace, but should not. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. –William Gorden