What Are The Laws For Punching In and Out?

Question:

In our workplace we are under the assumption that we have up to 30 minutes before our start time to punch the clock without getting in trouble and up to 15 minutes at the end of the day to punch before getting into trouble and OT is this correct. What are the real laws of time clocks and punching in and out before it goes to OT and getting into trouble since there is no OT were I work.

Time Conscious

Answer:

Dear Time Conscious:

There are no laws regulating time clocks. The actual issue is this. If you expect to get paid for Overtime, then you are more often than not, required to have the permission of your supervisor. The time before your workday starts is so you are not tardy. They give you the 15 minutes after 8 hours to clean your workstation and yourself without going into overtime. You must work over 40 hours in a seven-day period before you can begin to earn time and a half. I hope this answers your question. If it doesn’t, check your employee handbook or speak with your HR Manager. Good Luck.

Rules are made to so that no matter who you are you will be treated the same as the next person. Fairness is basic to thinking WEGO.

Dan Kearney