What Attorney For Work Place Slander?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about slander:

I have been an educator for 15 years, 12 within a public school system. My principal falsely and maliciously accused me of being “curt and disrespectful” to a parent, a colleague and to him. I have the union involved and things are going very well in proving that this administrator just does not like me. However, I would like to seek legal advice and possibly go after him for slander, although there is a good chance that his written reprimand may be removed and destroyed. What kind of attorney should I discuss this with and will the school district be responsible for the cost of my attorney if I win the case?

Signed, Just In Case

Dear Just In Case:

There are several ways to find the kind of attorney with which you might wish to consult. The type of attorney you seek is most likely going to be a personal injury attorney, employment attorney, or similar descriptive phrase. One way to tell is to look at advertisements by any attorney you consider. If he or she has been successful with work place litigation, there will be some mention of those type of cases.Other ideas:1. Ask your union attorney if he or she has someone to recommend.2. If you know an attorney in another field of law, ask him or her to recommend a colleague.3. Use the Internet or the phone book and look for personal injury or employment law specialists.4. See if there is a state or regional lawyers association or Bar Association. Often they have resource information.

A key issue of course is not just to identify a lawyer who handles slander cases, but also to identify one who listens well to your information, then provides you with information and ideas, as well as a cost structure that seems reasonable. (That is why most people prefer to consult with several attorneys before they sign a contract to work with one attorney.) The attorneys could also tell you how to go about seeking reimbursement for costs, as part of the civil action.I hope a lawsuit isn’t necessary! Best wishes in your work place issues as well as the aftermath.